Sunday, February 1, 2009

Last Chance Harvey (2008)

Delightful. As I said in my review of Brideshead Revisited (my very first post to this blog) I would watch Emma Thompson (Stranger Than Fiction (2006), Howard's End (1992), Sense and Sensibility (for which she won a screenwriting Oscar) (1995), a powerful turn as the Hillary-type character in Primary Colors (1998), and lots more) in anything, and this one was a pleasure. Thompson's lonely 40-something (Thompson is really 50) British Kate meets Dustin Hoffman's (also in Stranger Than Fiction, as well as dozens of noteworthy credits) lonely 60-ish (really 72) American Harvey and they spend a day together in London, changing both their lives. Special mention must be made of Harvey's cream linen suit. This is a good second feature for writer/director Joel Hopkins (I did not see the first, Jump Tomorrow (2001)) and I hope to see more from him in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment