Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Women (1939)

It seemed wise to see this before the remake. Contrary to popular belief, I don't know a ton about old movies; I started seeing a lot in the mid 70s, and that's what I know about. The only actresses I knew from this version without looking them up were Rosalind Russell, who was delightful in this tail of cattiness, and Joan Crawford. Imdb has a long list of quotations from this but my favorites were, "He could crack a coconut with those knees...if he could get them together," and Joan Crawford's parting shot, "There is a name for you, ladies, but it isn't used in polite society...outside of a kennel." Whatever they have done to bring it into the 21st century will change it a lot. This one was entertaining. The black & white photography had all those shades of gray--I only wish I could have seen those fabulous dresses in color.

No comments:

Post a Comment