Saturday, September 27, 2008

Lakeview Terrace (2008)

Jack likes to quote James Brown, "I may not know karate, but I do know ka-RAY-zy," (make sure your voice goes up for the RAY part--which is not how Owen Wilson says it in the trailer for Drillbit Taylor). And no one does ka-RAY-zy like Samuel L. Jackson. Sam did not disappoint in Lakeview Terrace. The setup had all been revealed in the trailer (Jackson's character is a cop who does not approve of his new neighbors' inter-racial marriage), but the pace was good, building steadily to a big finish. Nice to see Ron Glass as his patrician self, and director Neil LaBute is still doing the mean-spirited thing he did with In the Company of Men (1997), Your Friends and Neighbors (1998), and The Shape of Things (2003). This one made me want to yell at the characters, quoting The Wizard of Oz, "I'd turn back if I were you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment