Monday, September 15, 2008

In Search of a Midnight Kiss (2008)

Sitting in the cafe adjoining the theatre, I am moved to post now, as my home is powerless, a victim of Hurricane Ike v.3 (v.1 was Cuba, v.2 Texas, v.3 the midwest). I really liked this movie, which is scheduled to leave this Thursday. It had fully realized characters, cynical yet hopeful, with plenty of dark humor, and grainy black & white photography of some great LA locations (I was surprised to see that some of it was shot in Austin! Jack, Sarah, and Philip will have to tell me which parts). It was not at all predictable. Frank talk about sex and intellectual discussions excludes this from being suitable for young teenagers. Perhaps I was in just the right mood for something like this, but it felt like a combination of my favorite genres: sick and twisted (not as s & t as Todd Solondz, but lighter) meets adult relationships. I had not heard of any of the actors or filmmakers before.

No comments:

Post a Comment