Thursday, June 15, 2023

Broker (Beurokeo - 2022)

As expected, I loved this story of intermediaries between orphans and adoptive parents in Korea. Directed and written by Hirokazu Koreeda, who is Japanese and one of my favorites, it's compelling in its subject matter, acting, photography, music, you name it.

Song Kang-ho (the father in Parasite) leads his troupe with humor and compassion for his little charges. Bae Doona plays the multi-layered mother of the first baby in the movie and Seung-soo Im is adorable as the irrepressible boy Hae-jin.

Apple Music has the lovely soundtrack by Jung Jae Il. I began listening to it in a mechanics' waiting room, blogging while my car's oil was being changed this morning and, about ten minutes in, I realized that the music was coming out of my laptop's speakers and not my headphones. I apologized but the technicians asked that I keep playing it because it's so pleasant!

Koreeda (AKA Kore-eda Hirokazu) was last blogged for Shoplifters and Song for Parasite. Bae, a former model, has 37 credits on imdb, none of which I've seen, and Im, now ten years old, who is listed on asian wiki and instagram as Lim Seung-soo, makes his big-screen debut after three Korean TV gigs.

Rotten Tomatoes' critics are making a big deal of this, averaging 94%, and its audiences aren't far behindat 87. I rented this on iTunes/Apple TV as soon as it became available, May 12, and now you can watch it on Hulu with a subscription or rent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment