Saturday, March 28, 2020

Troop Zero (2019)

Jack and I enjoyed this story of outcast kids banding together to form a scouting troop in 1970s Georgia. The young cast is headed up by McKenna Grace and Charlie Shotwell, with elders Viola Davis, Alison Janney, and Jim Gaffigan, among others.

Directors Bert & Bertie, two women, work from a tight script by Lucy Alibar.

The country-tinged music by Rob Lord is behind the Apple Music paywall but it's on spotify for free (with ads) and I'm grooving to it right now. One song title reminded me they often say "funna" instead of "fixing to," which I especially noticed since I always watch with closed captions." There are plenty of songs, too, listed here.

Grace was last blogged for I, Tonya, Shotwell for The Glass Castle, Davis for Widows, Janney for Bombshell, Gaffigan for It's Kind of a Funny Story (though his comedy stylings can be enjoyed in many stand-up specials and 23 episodes of The Jim Gaffigan Show), and Alibar for Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Rotten Tomatoes' critics average is a cool 66% and its audiences' slighter warmer at 78. We liked it more than that.

You can stream this Amazon original, included with Prime, as we did on Valentine's Day, February 14, 2020.

Milestone alert! I have seen and written about 1200 movies since beginning the blog on September 3, 2008. I've written about 19 that I saw before that date, and have seen others that are still in draft form. Catching up in the quarantine!

No comments:

Post a Comment