Saturday, March 28, 2020

Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese (2019)

Jack and I loved this docu-drama about Dylan's 1975 tour (which I saw live in Boston!) weaving truth with fantasy. In fact, we thought it was a concert documentary until well into the second hour (it's 2:22 long) when I recognized fictitious Representative Jack Tanner (from the series Tanner '88, played then and now by Michael Murphy). Bette Midler's husband Martin von Haselberg plays Stefan von Dorp. I love it more now.

Here's a wikipedia article about the actual tour and here's a set list from the movie. Some songs are available on an album on Spotify and, with a subscription, on Apple Music. The latter is also selling a bigger compilation for a whopping $79.99, even with a subscription.

Director Scorsese was last blogged for Silence, which tells me I completely forgot to write about The Irishman. Coming soon to babetteflix.

We highly recommend this, as do Rotten Tomatoes' critics, with an average of 92% (no audience ratings available). It's a Netflix original, which we streamed February 25, 2020, and it's still available.

No comments:

Post a Comment