Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Look At Us Now, Mother! (2015)

Ann and I, along with a packed house, thoroughly enjoyed this documentary of a grown woman making peace with her vain mom through humor and honesty. One of the features of the local Jewish Film Festival, it was followed by a Q&A with the filmmaker Gayle Kirschenbaum, 61, whose mother is still alive and living in Boca (Raton, Florida).

Kirschenbaum's first doc was A Dog's Life: A Dogumentary (2004) and then she made a documentary short called My Nose (2007), which she fleshed out (ha!) into this feature length doc. She made My Nose because her mother had been hounding her for decades to get a nose job, and Gayle finally agreed to seek medical advice only if her mother would permit her to film it. She's an attractive woman and still has her original schnozz. We also learned at the Q&A that she had to edit the film herself to lessen the abuse and keep it light.

According to the filmmaker's website, you can now pre-order the DVD. I highly recommend it. And on DVD you won't suffer from motion-picture-motion-sickness (MPMS--see my running list here) as I did in the theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment