Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Independent Feature Project: NY awards, LA nominations

The first major awards are out, The Independent Feature Project's Gotham Independent Film Awards. The nominations were announced a while back and the winners came out today. I like the category called Best Film Not Playing at a Theater Near You. See this link for a list of the New York winners with short descriptions of the movies.

A few hours later, the Independent Spirit Award nominees were announced. This ceremony will now take place Friday March 5, two nights before the Oscars, Sunday March 7. Here's the press release with a list by category a couple of screens down. I like the category of the John Cassavetes Award for the best feature made for under $500,000. Unfortunately, these are the hardest to see outside of film festivals and the biggest cities.

The Independent Feature Project honors, surprise, independent films. Slumdog Millionaire and The Wrestler crossed over last year. I imagine Precious will this year and who knows what else?

I've started my list of awards sorted by film but it's not done yet. I may post it when I've entered the IFP awards or I may wait. If you have an opinion, let me know. You can contact me via the box on the right side of the page if you don't already know my address.

No comments:

Post a Comment