Monday, September 28, 2026

Blue Sun Palace (2024)

I was distracted--a lot--while watching this well-reviewed, moody story of massage therapists in Chinatown in Queens, New York, so it's not fair for me to admit that I wasn't particularly drawn in. Yes, critics have loved it (see below) and they were probably way more focused than I. Most of the dialogue is in Mandarin so it's almost surprising that it takes place in this country. The main characters are Didi, played by Haipeng Xu, Cheung, played by Kang-sheng Lee, and Amy, played by Ke-Xi Wu.

This is, after three shorts, the feature debut of director/writer Constance Tsang. Sami Jano's score is not available online, but some of his other scores are on Apple Music and Tsang created a Spotify playlist, which I assume is comprised of songs from the movie.

Xu has been in four other features, Lee forty-one, Wu fifteen, and Jano has scored seven others.

Rotten Tomatoes' critics are royally impressed, with a perfect score of 100%, but the site doesn't have enough audience scores to give an average.

I originally rented it for a long haul plane ride but forgot a vital step before we were in the air. Write me if you need instructions on how to watch a rented movie in airplane mode. If you follow all the steps it'll work just fine!

I watched it in segments, finishing on September 12, on a couple of bad days, in a room that didn't get dark enough. Not sure if I've addressed this in the blog, but I prefer to watch movies in the afternoon, and am away from my home theatre (which has blackout shades) as Jack holds down the fort.

No comments:

Post a Comment