Wednesday, November 2, 2022

The Woman Who Ran (2020)

This quiet South Korean movie shows one woman visiting three friends, one at a time, and they talk. Reviewers loved it but I was not transported. It's been a long time since I watched it and, at the time, I jotted "who was it about" and "very short" (it's 1:17 long). Even though I've read some reviews, such as this from the New York Times, I'm still not sure who ran or why. Most reviews are full of spoilers but there's not much to spoil here because it's a mood piece.

Kim Min-hee is the main character, although the movie starts with the camera lingering on one of the friends tending a chicken coop (hence "who was it about"). Hong Sang-soo directed, wrote, produced, scored, and edited. Hong has made one other appearance in this blog, for Night and Day, which was two and a half times longer--much too long.

As I mentioned, Rotten Tomatoes' critics give it a full 100%, while its audiences are jogging away at 55. I rented it on Apple TV on September 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment