Tuesday, March 15, 2022

The Worst Person in the World (Verdens verste menneske - 2021)

Unlike nearly everyone in the world, I didn't love this story of a Norwegian woman searching for love and a career and finding herself. Perhaps it was the way I watched it (many distractions). It's been quite a while since I saw it and I don't remember much. I think I found it too disconnected, despite its twelve chapter headings. Renate Reinsve stars as Julie.

Apparently it's the third part of director/co-writer Joachim Trier's Oslo trilogy, all of which got by me unnoticed. Trier's co-writer is Eskil Vogt.

It has Oscar nods for Original Screenplay and International Film among its 84 nominations and 19 wins, many of which are for Reinsve as Julie. The actress had been thinking of quitting acting when she got this part.

The score is by Ola Fløttum and here is a list of good songs.

Much press has been devoted to this picture. One article I read today says "the worst person in the world" is a common expression in Norway, much as an American would describe someone as the nicest guy in the world, so we shouldn't put too much weight on the title.

Rotten Tomatoes' critics' average of 96% suggests it's close to being the best movie in the world, while its audiences are right behind at 87.

You can rent it now on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment