Wednesday, February 16, 2022

A Chiara (To Chiara - 2021)

I really didn’t like this story of Italian 15 year old Chiara finding out her father is involved in various crimes. It’s inexplicably nominated for Spirit Awards for editing (it’s soooo slooow), cinematography (the hand held camera work literally made me nauseated—see below), and Best Picture, and I couldn’t get through all of its two hours and two minutes.

Apparently this is the third in a trilogy by director/writer Jonas Carpignano and the music is by Benh Zeitlin and Dan Romer.

I have a running list of movies that induce Motion Picture Motion Sickness otherwise known as MPMS and this will go on it after I publish the post. I get MPMS rarely now, since I watch everything at home. One can only guess that some filmmakers choose this method to indicate chaos. It's definitely not for me and I'm not alone.

Zeitlin was last blogged for Beasts of the Southern Wild (coincidentally another wildly MPMS movie) and Romer for Luca. Carpignano and all the cast are new to me.

Rotten Tomatoes' critics are more patient than I. Eleven of its reviewers averaged 91%. There are no audience reviews on that site yet, probably because it has barely been released. I saw as much as I could stomach a couple of weeks ago on a Spirit Awards screening site.

No comments:

Post a Comment