Saturday, November 13, 2021

Bergman Island (2021)

This disjointed homage to iconic director Ingmar Bergman was not our favorite, though it is beautiful. Vicky Krieps and Tim Roth star as life partners and filmmakers doing a residence at the titular island of Fårö (rhymes with Laura), in the cottage where he shot Scenes from a Marriage (1973). Mia Wasikowska shows up in the second and third acts. I'm not all that schooled in Bergman's work but I know some of it. An aficionado would surely be more thrilled than we were.

This English-language debut of French director/writer Mia Hansen-Løve had some production issues and I've just learned that the movie was shot way out of order because Roth was cast way after Krieps.

No composer is listed but I found a review that mentions the Celtic harp music of Robin Williamson and here is one song and another. The lovely images are thanks to cinematographer Denis Lenoir.

Because we usually watch movies at home now and can pause the credits, I noticed that Ingmar Bergman Junior (born in 1951) played, as I recall, "man on boat."

Krieps was last blogged for Phantom Thread, Roth for Luce, Wasikowska for Tracks, and Hansen-Løve for The Father of My Children (which I also found disjointed)

We rented it from iTunes November 1 because it is a New York Times critics pick. Rotten Tomatoes' critics agree with the Times', averaging 86%, but we tend to be closer to Rotten Tomatoes' audiences at 55.

No comments:

Post a Comment