Sunday, January 10, 2021

Death to 2020 (2020) and Yearly Departed (2020)

Jack and I laughed and winced at both of these TV specials comedically wrapping up the past year. We saw both New Year's Eve, as a substitute for congregating with friends.

Yearly Departed is less well known so I'll start there. In its 43 minutes, women comedians pay tribute to things we lost last year. I heard an interview with Phoebe Robinson somewhere and, although I haven't yet read her books (one is called You Can't Touch My Hair), I'm a fan. She is MC of this funeral-styled ceremony featuring, among others, Rachel Brosnahan and Tiffany Haddish, and concluding with Sarah Silverman. There are two men on screen with almost no lines. It's on Amazon Prime video. Rotten Tomatoes' critics' average is 80% and its audiences' 60. 

Death to 2020, on Netflix, has had more promotion. It's an hour and ten minutes, with Laurence Fishburne narrating and Samuel L. Jackson, Lisa Kudrow, Kumail Nanjiani, Leslie Jones, Hugh Grant, and more, playing people who would have been affected by real events of the past year. Yikes--Rotten Tomatoes' critics are averaging a deadly 37%, which makes its audiences' average of 62 look pretty good.

Nevertheless, we recommend both highly. I will not be adding these to my movie index, because they are TV specials.

No comments:

Post a Comment