Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession (2004)

This documentary about the groundbreaking movie channel on Los Angeles cable TV in the 1980s is very good, from the madness of founder Jerry Harvey to the plethora of classic movies on the station. I lived in LA  from 1982-2001, and subscribed to the Z Channel, recorded dozens if not hundreds of movies on six-hour VHS tapes, and saved the program guides, with their first-rate movie descriptions and reviews, for years.

Here's the trailer which should interest most movie buffs. Directed by Xan Cassavetes, daughter of John Cassavetes and Gena Rowlands (who happened to live on my street in the Hollywood Hills--I know because I met Gena canvassing for an ecological cause right before I moved). Xan directed Kiss of the Damned, which won a few awards, in 2012 but I didn't see it.

Composer Steven Hufsteter's Repo Man (1984) and Unhook the Stars (1986)--the latter starring Rowlands--were very likely screened on Z Channel. He also scored Xan's Kiss of the Damned.

Thirteen reviewers all gave this 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and 1,984 audience members averaged 86%.

Jack and I watched this on a netflix DVD six weeks ago. A google search shows many sites offering to stream it for free, but I couldn't get any of them to load on my Safari browser. Maybe you'll have better luck with another browser and OS if you don't have the netflix DVD option.

UPDATE: I found it and you can stream it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment