Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Frozen (2013)

I liked the animated musical of the cursed girl who accidentally freezes her hometown and runs away until her sister sets off to rescue her, featuring the awesome vocal chops of Idina Menzel as the former and Kristen Bell as the latter. It's all quite pleasant and funny in spots. It's based on Hans Christian Andersen's story The Snow Queen, but Disney wisely decided to make the queen likable instead of a villain. Good choice, as it won Best Animated Feature at the Oscars and Golden Globes, among 61 wins and 43 nominations. I recorded it on cable in July and watched it two and a half weeks ago, the day after I broke my foot (among many many more hours of video--feeling pretty low that Sunday). As it happened, I had also just watched several little girls bellowing Let It Go into their parents' (my friends') cameras on Facebook.

As is my wont, I'll give you some of my favorites of Bell (I didn't see any versions of Veronica Mars but I quite liked her in Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008), its sort-of-sequel Get Him to the Greek (tiny part), another small part in Safety Not Guaranteed, co-starring in her real-life husband Dax Shepard's Hit and Run, three episodes of Parks and Recreation, and 36 of House of Lies--the parental ratings range between Frozen and House of Lies is vast) and Menzel (on Broadway in Wicked (Amy and I were moved to tears by her opening song), on the big screen in Rent (2005) and Enchanted, and on the small screen in Glee). Plenty of other talents provide voices but I'll let it go this time.

Oh, and this is where I get to publish my theory about John Travolta's mangling of Menzel's name at the Oscars in February. We've since learned that he's dyslexic. I maintain he didn't say Adele Dazeem, he actually said Adele Nazeem--he got all the consonants, but in the wrong order.

Nobody needs my advice on this movie--many parents have watched it multiple times and some have been happy to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment