Friday, February 7, 2014

Labor Day (2013)

Kate Winslet brings another powerful performance as an agoraphobic mother, Adele, whose teen son brings home an escaped convict. Perhaps it's a little syrupy (critics have been harsh), but we both liked it. Josh Brolin (last blogged in Gangster Squad) supports Winslet (most recently in Carnage) as the con Frank. My complaint, and I'm not alone in this, is that Frank's story in flashbacks could have been clearer: I thought the actor playing him as a young man isn't young enough--Tom Lipinski is 31 with a prematurely lined face--and the girl playing Frank's wife could be a younger Winslet--if they had asked me I would've suggested they make her a brunette. Young Gattlin Grifith (he played the boy in The Changeling) does a great job as the kid and Brooke Smith (daughter of LA publicist Lois Smith and ubiquitous supporting player, e.g. the DEA guy's ex-wife on Weeds) is also good in a small part as a neighbor who doesn't knock.

Almost forgot. The music, by Rolfe Kent (some of my favorites: Slums of Beverly Hills (1998), Election (1999), Nurse Betty (2000), About Schmidt (2002), Sideways (2004), The Matador (2005), Wedding Crashers (2005), Thank You for Smoking (2005), Up in the Air, The Men Who Stare at Goats, Young Adult) is moody and cool, and can be previewed on the amazon page and bought at many sites.

Yeah, the critics hated it, averaging 32% on rottentomatoes, and audiences are at only 60. Maybe director Jason Reitman (last blogged in Young Adult) is better known for his comedies, but we think this one would be fine for date night.

1 comment:

  1. I read about the man behind the music, and he worked on Dexter too (I think, if memory serves me.) I liked the movie. A story about love. How about the pie-making scene? Yeah, it took me a while to figure out those flashbacks. There was a good tension going on in the story, even until the very end. It really holds your attention. Cinematography really good too. And good characters. Of course, the book's author gets a lot of the credit!

    ReplyDelete