Monday, September 24, 2018

Madame (2017)

I liked this cringy screwball comedy a lot. Toni Collette is very good as the tightly wound American Anne who invites her maid to a fancy dinner party in her Paris home so as to have an even number at the table. This is the best of the three movies I binged on the flight home from Europe last month.

Collette (last blogged for Hearts Beat Loud) is joined by Harvey Keitel (most recently in Youth) as her more relaxed husband Bob. The distinctive Rossy de Palma (one of Almadóvar's favorite actresses, she's been in his Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988), Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (1989), The Flower of My Secret (1995), Broken Embraces, and Julieta, to name a few) is wonderful as the maid Maria, as is Tom Hughes (best known to me as Prince Albert in 16 episodes of Victoria) as Bob's pot-stirring son Steve. Michael Smiley (I've seen many of his projects but couldn't place him) has the pivotal role of the art dealer.

This is the second time directing and third feature script for French director/writer Amanda Sthers (I had not heard of her and could guess how to pronounce her name but have no idea).

Matthieu Gonet's (also new to me) lovely soundtrack with the usual accordions and acoustic guitar solos to make it sound French can be streamed from this spotify link.

Rotten Tomatoes' critics do not agree with me, averaging 39%, and its audiences come in at only 57. It can be rented or bought on iTunes and Amazon right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment