Sunday, September 23, 2018

Love, Gilda (2018)

Jack and I loved this documentary about comedienne Gilda Radner, combining lots of archive footage with commentary by friends, family, and a flock of funny actors, writers, and producers--too many to name here and many unnamed on screen--some of whom read from Radner's own writing. There is some frank discussion of her eating disorder but Jack noticed that the movie didn't mention the word or even the concept of drugs, even in the depictions of the heady Saturday Night Live days.

This is director Lisa D'Apolito's feature debut, while composer Miriam Cutler scored RBG and dozens of other documentaries. I wish I could find streaming examples for my own, if not your enjoyment, but none of the music is available as far as I can tell.

It helps to be a fan of vintage SNL. I laughed, I cried, I could watch it again. Be alert. Some pictures are grainy and many go by quickly. Rotten Tomatoes' critics and audiences are a little cooler than we are, averaging only 83 and 82%, respectively.

And stop leaving before the credits are over! There's a bonus at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment