Saturday, July 7, 2018

Harold and Lillian: A Hollywood Love Story (2015)

I loved this documentary about the Michelsons, storyboard artist Harold and film researcher Lillian, who happen to have been friends of some of my friends when I lived in Hollywood and longer. I recorded it off the air on TCM several months ago and finally watched it two weeks ago. It's available to rent or buy on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Watching it at home, you may be tempted to multi-task and look at another device while it's on. I recommend you not do that, because there are lots of visuals, including charming new storyboards (cartoon drawings) by animator Patrick Mate.

This is the second feature length documentary directed by Daniel Raim (Oscar-nominated for The Man on Lincoln's Nose, a documentary short that I didn't see about film production designers -- Harold is in it) and Raim has made several more documentary shorts and one documentary feature since then.

This review from Variety is thorough but doesn't have spoilers.

I don't remember the music by David Lebolt and I don't see it online, so...sorry.

At 100 and 91%, Rotten Tomatoes' critics and audiences are equally enthusiastic. This is a must-see for film buffs and romantics.

No comments:

Post a Comment