Sunday, July 8, 2018

American Animals (2018)

Jack and I really liked this caper/docu-drama about four students who stole rare books from their college library in 2003. Mixing interview footage of the real men with performances by actors close to the age they were when they did it, it's terribly clever and engaging.

Apparently director/writer Bart Layton (new to me) started out to make a pure documentary but decided he wanted to show the boys planning and committing the crime. The acting is good and the editing expert.

Barry Keoghan (I didn't mention him as one of the sons of Mark Rylance's sailor when I wrote about Dunkirk) plays Spencer Reinhard, Evan Peters (of his dozens of credits I've seen only Kick-Ass) plays his wild friend Warren Lipka, Jared Abrahamson (new to me) is Eric Borsuk, and Blake Jenner (covered in The Edge of Seventeen; he's still not related to Caitlyn/Bruce) is Chas Allen. In my opinion the real men, 15 years later, are even more attractive than the actors playing them as students at Transylvania University in Lexington, Kentucky (most of the movie was shot in North Carolina, with Davidson College subbing in for Transylvania). Ann Dowd (after I covered her in Captain Fantastic she won an Emmy for season one of The Handmaid's Tale) plays the university librarian.

I'm streaming the soundtrack by Anne Nikitin on spotify as I write. I hadn't heard of her before, despite her dozens of projects.

Rotten Tomatoes' audiences at 92% agree with us even more than its critics at 86. The movie will be available at Amazon and probably iTunes in mid-August. It's really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment