Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Stone (2010)

This well-timed taut drama features powerful performances by Edward Norton and Robert de Niro as a convicted arsonist named Stone and his parole officer Jack, respectively, and Milla Jovovich as Stone's sultry wife Lucetta. I was already a big fan of director John Curran for We Don't Live Here Anymore (2004) and The Painted Veil (2006), both of which starred Naomi Watts, and the latter, which I've mentioned many times on these pages, starred Norton as her husband. Written by Angus MacLachlan (nominated for an independent Spirit Best First Screenplay Award for Junebug (2005); this is his second feature) and photographed by cinematographer Maryse Alberti (Crumb (1994), Happiness (1998), We Don't Live Here Anymore, and The Wrestler, among many others), it was captivating watching and listening to Norton (Oscar nominated for American History X (1998), which I didn't see because I was afraid at the time that it would be too rough, and Primal Fear (1996), which was great; I also liked him a lot in a lot: Everyone Says I Love You (1996), Keeping the Faith (2000), Death to Smoochy (2002), Frida (2002), 25th Hour (2002), The Italian Job (2003), Down in the Valley (2005)--he was scary!, The Illusionist (2006), The Incredible Hulk (2008), and of course The Painted Veil) affecting a high-pitched yet gravelly voice as Stone tries to manipulate De Niro (I wrote about my De Niro faves in Everybody's Fine) into granting his parole. I didn't expect much from ex-model Jovovich (despite her nomination for a Razzie for Worst Supporting Actress I quite liked The Fifth Element (1997); I haven't seen any of the Resident Evil series) so was pleasantly surprised when she turned in a believable performance as the sexy and persistent Lucetta. Frances Conroy (Ruth in Six Feet Under) has a few scenes as Jack's wife Madelyn.

Shot entirely in Michigan, it has no score, just songs, and only five are listed on imdb. My Jack remembered that we saw the trailer a long time ago. I'm glad I forgot it, because it gives away a lot. It's still in first run, at various places around the country. Perhaps not first on anyone's list, it's still very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment