Thursday, November 18, 2010

Off and Running (2009)

This documentary about an African-American girl raised as a Jew (along with adopted brothers who are of mixed-ethnicity and Korean, respectively) by her lesbian adoptive parents gets its title from our heroine Avery's talent as a track star and was engrossing to me and a full house at a Jewish film festival recently. We also got to meet Avery in the flesh, and she is a delightful, self-assured 20-year-old. I wasn't going to write about it because I had the time wrong and arrived late, but PBS (it was originally shown as a segment of the series P.O.V.) will be streaming it online until December 7 so I got to see the beginning and check out the credits again. Here's a review. The music by Daniel Bernard Roumain added much to the feel of this short (1:15) feature. And now I see that it's available to watch instantly on netflix as well. I think it's really good, and recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment