Saturday, August 15, 2026

I Love Boosters (2026)

This insane, loud, fever dream is not for everyone but Jack and I didn't hate it. Taylour Paige, Keke Palmer, and Naomi Ackie are shoplifters (boosters) of high end fashion in San Francisco, focusing on the work of one designer, played hilariously by Demi Moore. Support comes from Poppy Liu, LaKeith Stanfield, and more, with a cameo by Don Cheadle.

Director/writer Boots Riley keeps the madcap pace going throughout. Do not turn this off when the credits roll, because there is another scene at the very end. The crazy original score by Tune-Yards (Merrill Garbus and Nate Brenner) is streaming on Apple Music as I type. Palmer has also released five songs from the soundtrack as a separate album.

I must mention the colorful costumes designed by Shirley Kurata.

Paige was last blogged for Sharp Stick, Palmer for One of Them Days, Moore for The Substance, Stanfield for Roofman, Cheadle for White Noise, and Riley and Tune-Yards for Sorry to Bother You. Ackie is new to me but not to her craft and Liu has appeared in episodes of Better Call Saul, The Afterparty,  and Hacks, to name a few. Kurata was recognized many times for her work in Everything Everywhere All at Once, including an Oscar nominations and a win from her peers in the Costume Designers Guild. This is her sixth feature heading the wardrobe department.

Rotten Tomatoes' critics love these folks with a 92% average, though its audiences' average needs a boost from 75. We rented it on July 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment