Monday, March 4, 2019

Free Solo (2018)

Jack and I really liked this Oscar-winning documentary about the first and only person to climb the face of Yosemite's El Capitan without ropes, and watched it at home on Molly and Craig's recommendation.

Alex Honnold, a driven young man, does the climbing, part of his Yosemite Triple Crown: El Capitan, Half Dome, and Mount Watkins. Spoiler alert: he didn't die and showed up at the Oscars last month.

This is the sixth feature documentary for co-director Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi (she made two TV ones as well) and her husband and co-director Jimmy Chin worked on one of hers as also directed Free Solo 360, a short which you can watch on youtube. On my desktop computer I can move the youtube picture around 360° with the trackpad and on my phone I can move it with my finger, but I haven't watched the whole 360 yet on any device.

I'm listening to the feature soundtrack by Marco Beltrami (last blogged for A Quiet Place) on Apple Music and it's also available on Spotify and others.

You don't need us to tell you it's good--Rotten Tomatoes' critics and audiences are averaging 95 and 95%, respectively. It's available for rent on all the usual platforms. I'm afraid of heights, and had to look away at times, but it was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment