Thursday, January 18, 2018

Girls Trip (2017)

Here's one we disliked. Snowed in on Friday, we paid Amazon Video to see this raunchy comedy about grown women acting like teenagers--no, that gives teenagers a bad name--just acting up. Since we were warm and comfortable we kept at it, waiting for another laugh, but they were few and far between.

Veterans Queen Latifah (last in these pages for The Dilemma), Jada Pinkett Smith (most recently in Bad Moms), and Regina Hall (her first appearance here), are joined by Tiffany Haddish (new to me) in a breakout role that has earned her a bunch of nominations. In fact, her nominations are why we rented it in the first place.

This is the first project I've seen by Malcolm D. Lee, who directs from a script by Kenya Barris (best known as the creator/writer of 96 episodes of Black-ish, which Jack and I love) and Tracy Oliver.

Fans may enjoy the list of songs and homage paid to the movie Set It Off (1996), which starred Latifah and Pinkett Smith in another foursome.

Rotten Tomatoes' critics are averaging 90% and its audiences 80. As my mother used to say, that's what makes horse racing. I feel compelled to say that Jack walked by as I was writing this tonight and I showed him the first line of my draft where I wrote, "Here's one we hated." He said, "Hate is a little strong." So I edited it. Now you know everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment