Thursday, September 7, 2017

The Trip to Spain (2017)

Ann and I loved this third installment of Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon road-tripping, comedic riffing, and gourmet eating, following 2014's The Trip to Italy and 2010's The Trip (northern England). All three movies were directed by Michael Winterbottom, all three are adapted or edited from (I'm not quite sure which) six-episode BBC serieses of the same names also directed by Winterbottom, and all three men were last blogged for The Trip to Italy.

Once again a lot of the dialogue in this mock-umentary is improvised, including their impressions of Michael Caine, Mick Jaggar, and various James Bondses. There's some drama, but Ann, who watched the other two movies more recently than I, reminded me that particularly Coogan's version of himself had a fair amount of drama in the previous installments. Some viewers have complained about the ending, but you'll have to let me know that you've seen it before I discuss it with you.

It did seem to both of us (Jack was busy last Sunday) that there was less food this time around. Still, it's going on my list of Random food movies.

Cinematographer James Clarke steps in for his feature debut after one documentary also helmed by Winterbottom and one TV episode, and the photography is still magnificent.

The song list isn't available but I found this spotify playlist from all three movies for your and my entertainment.

Rotten Tomatoes' critics are averaging 83% and its audiences 72. See it on the big screen if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment