Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Paris Can Wait (Bonjour Anne - 2016)

Deb and I loved this tale of Anne, the American wife of a Hollywood producer, driving through France with his French colleague Jacques, with fine dining and sightseeing along the way. Diane Lane (last blogged for Trumbo) and Arnaud Viard (new to me) are charming as the odd couple and Alec Baldwin (cameo in Rules Don't Apply and linked to past posts in Concussion) is funny as the workaholic husband Michael.

This is the fiction feature debut for 81 year old director/writer Eleanor Coppola (after two documentaries and three shorts), wife of Francis (he's 78) and mother of Sofia. Francis' production company American Zoetrope helped make this and you will see an actual zoetrope in it. Crystel Fournier's (this is her first American movie and the first I've seen) cinematography is stunning, including the latest of my rules for movies and TV (click this link for the full list of 21): If a movie is set anywhere in France outside of Paris or Cannes, there will be a road lined with tall trees on both sides.

The bright score by Laura Karpman (also new to me, despite a long list of credits) can be streamed from this youtube playlist and I'm enjoying it right now as I write.

The yummy food stylings earn this a place on my list of random food movies (now up to 26).

Clearly Rotten Tomatoes' critics and audiences have no taste, averaging 49 and 48% respectively. This is a delicious movie for all to savor.

No comments:

Post a Comment