Saturday, March 18, 2017

KEDi (2016)

Jack and I liked very much this beautiful documentary about the thousands of street cats who have roamed Istanbul since before it was Istanbul. With glorious cinematography and wonderful music, it gives us a feel for the city and I, for one, was discouraged from spending time there (perhaps I'm a clean freak--the felines jump onto everything, eat what they can get when they can get it, and though some loving residents provide veterinary care, I couldn't help thinking about shots and flea treatments). The audience today loved it, laughing out loud in many places. Kedi means cat in Turkish, but when I told the ticket taker "Kitties," she knew what I meant.

Director Ceyda Torun has made one short before this, shot by Charlie Wupperman, who collaborated here as cinematographer with Alp Korfali, both of whom are not novices but new to me as well.

Kira Fontana, an American, wrote the original soundtrack, but it is not available to buy, much less stream, in this country. I counted nine songs in the closing credits. The credits, by the way, are in English, even though the movie is in Turkish with English subtitles.

Rotten Tomatoes' critics love it, too, averaging 96% to its audiences' 86. The official website says the DVD won't come out until November, so I suggest you see it on the big screen while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment