Monday, February 27, 2017

Neruda (2016)

This fictionalized story of a detective searching for the Nobel-Prize winning Chilean poet left us pretty cold when we saw it over three weeks ago, even with the best efforts of Gael García Bernal as the former and comedian Luis Gnecco playing it straight in the title role (after I wrote about Bernal in Rosewater he starred in 32 episodes of Mozart in the Jungle and Gnecco is new to me).

Director Pablo Larraín has two 2016 releases--this one came out before Jackie. Guillermo Calderón (also new to me) wrote the script about the real poet and his Communist activities in the 1940s. I had trouble, as I recall, following it, though I think I liked the music by composer Federico Jusid (last scored The Secret in Their Eyes).

Rotten Tomatoes' critics are in opposition to us, averaging 95% to its audiences 72. There are many other movies you should see before this one, IMHO.

No comments:

Post a Comment