Saturday, August 2, 2014

They Came Together (2014)

Silly slapstick, in the style of Airplane (1980), this is a spoof of romantic comedies, chock full of clichés. Jack liked it a lot. Amy and I, not so much, even though we love stars Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd.

Poehler (best known for Saturday Night Live and Parks and Recreation, she's done a fair number of movies, including Blades of Glory (2007), Baby Mama (2008), and a voice in the US version of The Secret World of Arietty) and Rudd (last blogged in Anchorman 2) are game for this genre and they work hard. In my post about Prince Avalanche I wrote, "Jack and I would watch Paul Rudd in almost anything." This and Anchorman 2 seem to fall into the category of "almost."

Director/co-writer David Wain (profiled in Wanderlust) also gives his all but it left me pretty cold when we saw it five weeks ago. DVD release is set for September 2. Rotten Tomatoes critics are now at 68% and audiences at 50%.  Poehler and Rudd fans can get it on netflix and fast forward, especially that scene in the bar.

Despite my negative views on this one, here's a milestone: this is the 700th movie presented on this blog (despite the long summer break, five more in draft form, and many on my must see list)!

No comments:

Post a Comment