Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Under the Skin (2013)

Baffling. The story about an "alien seductress" in Scotland isn't linear, which isn't necessarily bad, but we just didn't get it. Director Jonathan Glazer's debut, Sexy Beast (2000) was so good, as was his sophomore effort Birth (2004), which, like this one, he co-wrote, so I fully expected to love this. Not one bit, despite the best efforts of Scarlett Johansson (last in Captain America: The Winter Soldier) as this movie's sexy beast. We saw it about a month ago and I am somewhat dim on the details.

My regular readers know that I like to track down the movie's score and listen while I write. Here it is, by violinist Mica Levi. Irritating. I think I'm getting a headache and I was fine ten minutes ago. I've switched to a mix of jazz and classical to finish this post.

Loved by critics (86% on Rotten Tomatoes to 64 from audiences), nominated for four British Independent Film Awards (director, actress, sound design, music) and more, this is one Jack and I can't personally recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment