Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The World's End (2013)

Amy, Jack, and I enjoyed this crazy British comedy about four 30-something buddies recreating a bar crawl from their teens which morphs into something else entirely. This is the third part of a trilogy (Shaun of the Dead (2004) and Hot Fuzz (2007)) and the first that any of us had seen. We picked it on Christmas day because American Hustle was sold out, we returned home to find something on demand, and I recognized the title from someone's top ten list on NPR. All three were directed by Edgar Wright (last blogged in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) and co-written by Wright and Simon Pegg (most recently in Star Trek: Into Darkness). All three include stars Pegg (his Peter-Pan-like Gary is quite funny here), Nick Frost (not so familiar to me), and Martin Freeman (the latest Hobbit, starred in the British Office, and blogged in Son of Rambow). Noted Irish actor Paddy Considine (my favorites are In America (2002), My Summer of Love (2004), and Cinderella Man (2005)) was in Hot Fuzz. I guess I should see the other two.

If we had seen the trailer we would've known what happened next and I'm glad we didn't. Rottentomatoes critics give this a resounding 89%, with audiences coming in at 73. It's out on DVD already. You'll know after 20 minutes if it's your cup of tea. It was ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment