Tuesday, May 7, 2013

First Comes Love (2012)

I was a little concerned that Jack would find this documentary about a 40 year old single woman's quest for a baby too much of a "chick flick." My worries were unfounded and he enjoyed it as much as I did, which was a lot. Filmmaker Nina Davenport details her own journey, including: beloved mother dies, emotionally closed-off father is left, where to get the sperm, childless-by-choice best girlfriend, how to date men afterwards, etc. Sorry if that sounds soapy because it's not.

Set to be aired on HBO in July, this is raw, funny, and honest, almost to a fault. I don't think many people will dislike it. It's not listed yet on imdb nor rottentomatoes, my usual sources for research. We saw it a film festival in early April when our baseball game two blocks away was rained out. We're glad we did. Watch for it on cable and later, I hope, on DVD. Here's her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment