Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Crazy Horse (2011)

Jack and I really liked this documentary about the home of "chic nude dancing" in Paris, where the girls bare all, swinging and swaying. Noted documentarian Frederick Wiseman brings us these young women, all with lovely faces and homogeneous symmetric bodies, putting on quite a show, and some of the behind-the-scenes folks talk (and talk and talk--we would have been quite happy with at least 20 minutes of talking removed--at 134 minutes, it should be shorter). I've enjoyed watching my yoga teacher perform with her belly dancing troupe, and the girls of Le Crazy are first rate at gyrating their hips and "buttocks" as they are subtitled. Now in its 61st year, Crazy Horse is a popular tourist attraction just off the river Seine on Avenue George V, catering to both men and women. At age 82 Wiseman has made 41 documentaries, and I must admit I haven't seen any, though I remember hearing about Meat in 1976.

It's an interesting follow-up to Pina (which was playing in the same room an hour later this evening), and, like that one, recommended for lovers of the dance, and anyone else who would like to see nearly naked girls (I suppose 20-somethings should really be called women, but no one in the movie does so) executing complicated choreography.

No comments:

Post a Comment