Sunday, July 24, 2011

Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench (2009)

I had wanted to see this ever since it was nominated for the Gotham Award of Best Film Not Playing at a Theater Near You two years ago. Sorry to say, it wasn't really worth the wait, despite some nice music and dancing. Though it's artfully shot in grainy black and white, the story is confusing and the acting is pretty blah. At one point one actress accidentally said her own name ("I'm Sandha, er, Elena") and it was left in, even though the director/writer, Damien Chazelle, was the editor! I get low budget, but that's just silly. Typical for low budget, independent films, the sound mix was sub-par, and no captions were available on the DVD. I was glad I had not seen this on a big screen, because the hand-held camera work was nauseating to this sensitive viewer, causing motion picture motion sickness (MPMS), even in my living room. Now I know why, when I told Melissa back in 2009 that I was eager to see this, her reaction was tepid. If you loved it, please let me know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment