Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Phil Ochs: There But for Fortune (2010)

We learned a lot (I more than Jack, the history teacher) from this tight documentary about the protest folksinger/songwriter (1940-1976), which has archival footage, duets with Joan Baez and others, interviews with his siblings Sonia and Michael, his wife Alice, and others, and packed with so many songs it qualifies as a musical. I came late to Ochs' party buying Pleasures of the Harbor, his fourth and least successful album, long after its 1967 release (and apparently sold it in a purge of my less-used vinyl when I moved 10 years ago). We enjoyed this and recommend it to anyone who remembers liking Ochs. For some background, here's the trailer, a bio and videos of the songs There But for Fortune, I Ain't Marching Anymore, and Outside a Small Circle of Friends (the latter is from the album I had).
 
We saw this February 23, but I forgot to write about it, caught up as I was in Oscar mania (what a letdown) (next year give Anne Hathaway another chance with a co-host who actually cares to entertain) (fat chance).

No comments:

Post a Comment