Sunday, June 13, 2010

Manuela and Manuel (Manuela y Manuel - 2007)

This Puerto Rican farce features Humberto Busto (here he is dressed as a man) as the title characters (here he is as Manuela). Manuela is a drag queen, a dancer and singer, who spends her life in women's clothes, but agrees to help out her pregnant friend Coca and pose to her parents as the man who knocked her up. I believe that people deserve to be called by whatever pronoun that they desire, even when forced to wear a suit and tie. Director Raúl Marchand Sánchez, writer José Ignacio Valenzuela, and the other stars were not familiar to me. Jack and I didn't love it, but didn't hate it, either; also, I was distracted by technical difficulties in the screening, and Jack was distracted by the guy snoring behind us. The production numbers in Manuela's club were pretty great. I suspect I would have liked it a lot more had I seen it at home on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment