Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sherlock Holmes (2009)

I suspect Arthur Conan Doyle purists will be heading for the door within the first 10 minutes, but Jack & I sat happily in our seats for two and a quarter hours (plus a plethora of previews). The collaboration between director Guy Ritchie, his modern writers, and star Robert Downey. Jr. delivers action, suspense, humor, and a little beefcake (sorry, boys, we did not see in the final cut the scene from the trailer when Rachel McAdams drops her robe to reveal her corset). Ritchie's early action movies Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) and Snatch (2000) were great fun and recommended for anyone who enjoys this one. Of the writers, Lionel Wigram, credited with screen story, and Michael Robert Johnson, screen story and screenplay, are newcomers; Anthony Peckham (screenplay) adapted John Carlin's novel for Invictus and Simon Kinberg wrote the action movies Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005), and co-wrote X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) and Jumper (2008); and Sir Arthur is responsible for certain character details only. But Ritchie's style, with slo-mo action alternating with real time, is paramount. I especially liked the cinematic illustrations of Holmes' inner dialogue during his fight scenes (recalling writing teachers who instruct: say what you're going to say, then say it). Sally often tells me that there are some actors she would pay to see read the phone book. I feel that way about Downey (some of my faves: Chaplin (1992), Short Cuts (1993), Wonder Boys (2000), Good Night, and Good Luck (2005), Iron Man (2008), and Tropic Thunder). His Holmes is a buff, dissolute, fist-fighting ninja in olde England (nice that we saw the boxing on Boxing Day, December 26th). Jude Law's (first came to my attention as Oscar Wilde's lover in Wilde (1997), also good in The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999), the inscrutable I Heart Huckabees (2004), Closer (2004), and more) Watson is a Felix to Holmes' Oscar (different Oscar--that's an Odd Couple reference). More scenes with the love interest, Irene Adler (I've seen McAdams in Mean Girls (2004), Wedding Crashers (2005), and State of Play) would have been nice, but the movie didn't need any extra length. I have written about three of the supporting actors in other posts: Mark Strong (Body of Lies) is a suitably creepy villain; Eddie Marsan (Me and Orson Welles) is the befuddled Inspector Lestrade; and Kelly Reilly (also Me and Orson Welles) the patient Mary.

So far the only nominations have been Critics Choice for the score and Golden Globe for Downey, but I expect more for visual effects and the music from the reliable Hans Zimmer. The soundtrack was released digitally a few days ago (here's a long and thoughtful review) without 3 songs (I particularly liked the Irish jig during one boxing scene). Costumes were good, too. I winced watching the luscious silk trains dragging on the cobblestone streets, but I guess they had to put up with that in those days of bustles and parasols. As Holmes used his sense of smell to find clues I was grateful we didn't have smell-o-vision. Oh, and listen for the line, "I haven't a clue," somewhere; it made me smile. Plenty of crooked and stained English teeth are in evidence; I'm grateful not to have any of those either. About 5 minutes before the end Jack turned to me and said, "Here comes the sequel," which was confirmed at the end of the credits. And, of course, the movie was preceded by a trailer for Iron Man 2, which we will be seeing this summer.

When we saw Nine on Christmas day, there were lines for this movie and not for that. They were very different but I'd have to say that this one is better as long as you don't mind all the hitting. You know what Sylvia says is the definition of a chick flick: Too much talking and not enough hitting.

1 comment:

  1. Downey was fantastic, as were McAdams and Law, but it felt like a combination of other better movies. It felt just like Moulin Rouge, and I didn't know it was directed by Ritchie when I watched it. Also reminiscent of House (TV) and Batman, probably others that I can't recall since it took me 3 sittings to get through it all.

    ReplyDelete