Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Ugly Truth (2009)

One reviewer quipped, "The Truth will set you back 9 bucks," and so Amy, Melissa, and I (Christiana would have gone with us had she been available) didn't expect much from this chick flick rom com. Therefore we were pleasantly surprised when we didn't feel cheated out of our hour and a half nor our ticket cost (I had a coupon, though, because I'm an AMC Movie Watcher!) (could I get paid for publishing that?) (hmmm). The writing team of Karen McCullah Lutz & Kirsten Smith (10 Things I Hate About You (1999), Legally Blonde (2001), She's the Man (2006)) and director Robert Luketic (Legally Blonde, Win a Date with Tad Hamilton! (2004), and the un-chick-like 21 (2008)) have struck paydirt in this predictable and predictably popular story of a smart career woman and the macho "relationship expert" with whom she is forced to spend time. Yes, the ending is terribly contrived, not to mention noticeably computer generated, but there are more than a few cute bits with Katherine Heigl (ABC's Grey's Anatomy, Knocked Up (2007), and 27 Dresses (2008), the latter of which I haven't seen), Gerard Butler (he has a good list of credits, but the only thing I've seen is P.S. I Love You, which I turned off before it was over; but soon to be featured in three more 2009 releases), Cheryl Hines (Jack & I liked her in Waitress (2007) and, of course HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm, and I was fond of the cancelled TV series In the Motherhood earlier this year), John Michael Higgins (hilarious in Best in Show (2000), A Mighty Wind (2003), and The Break-Up and For Your Consideration, both in 2006), and Nate Corddry (you should rent the entire series of NBC's Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (cancelled) and season 1 of United States of Tara (season 2 coming soon)). It would not be a terrible way to spend a little time with a beloved daughter or other young lady in your life. Not too young, though; it's deservedly rated R for sexual content and language.

No comments:

Post a Comment