Thursday, June 25, 2009

Yes Man (2008)

For my second movie on the long plane ride I wanted something silly and I chose Yes Man (Amy heard me giggling and watched it as her third movie on the plane). I must have seen the trailer a dozen times last year and my favorite part was Jim Carrey's bungee jumping off the bridge to The Who's screaming intro of "Won't Get Fooled Again." Gotta tell ya--that track was apparently not cleared for the final cut and the scene had way less impact without it. However, as noted above, overall it was just fine to pass the time. Carrey (I liked The Truman Show (1998) and Man on the Moon (1999-he played Andy Kaufman) a lot, and loved Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)) trotted out some of the rubber-faced shtick that he began in In Living Color (Fox TV 1990-94) and continued with digital assistance in The Mask (1994), but didn't cause me too much wincing as a leading man. The ever adorable Zooey Deschanel (Almost Famous (2000), The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005), and Andy's crazy girlfriend Kat in 4 episodes of the 3rd season of Showtime's Weeds) got to sing a little. I noticed in the credits (which you probably won't read because there's some bonus footage, so don't eject your DVD right away) that Jarrad Paul, one of the three writers, played a member of Deschanel's character's running group. What I didn't remember until looking it up tonight is that Paul, in addition to a recurring role on USA channel's Monk, played the hapless writer Adam Rafkin in the brilliant-but-cancelled Fox series Action from 1999 (do rent the DVD, where Jay Mohr's character Peter Dragon says of Rafkin, "We hired the wrong Jew!"). P.S. Noise cancelling headphones for airplanes! Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment