Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees (2008)

The day after the election I was happy and weepy all day. This movie, based on the best-selling novel of the same name, is the story of a 14-year-old white girl affected by race relations in the 60s in the south. My waterworks started up again when they showed the clip of Lyndon Johnson signing the Civil Rights Act in 1964. Three acclaimed singers (Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keys, and Queen Latifah) star in this, but all we get is Latifah and Keys humming a little bit to the radio, though Alicia Keys does have one song during the credits. Paul Bettany was good as the scary father. I must admit I liked him a whole lot better as the adorable tennis player in Wimbledon (2004) but, like many actors, he seems to have to venture to the dark side for meatier roles. Little Dakota Fanning isn't so little any more (15!), and did a great job. Kim asked me if it would be OK to take her 7-year-old. I think not -- there are some very sad things that a child would not be able to handle. PG-13 is right on the money for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment